Items from my shop - Romantic Planet

I made the front page of Etsy! Yippeeeeee!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Karyn, your job does not define who you are as a human being!

I find it interesting that when I meet new people it seems the first thing they ask is your name.

The second inquiry is usually "What do you do?"

"Hmmmm" I almost always ask myself "Is this a trick question?" "Do they really want to know what I do? How I choose or like to spend my time or do they want to know what it is that I do to pay the bills?"


A wise woman (my dear sister Susan) once told me that when she was working as a legal secretary & was asked what she does. She chose to answer by replying "I am a writer."



Until that conversation with Susan .....it had never really occurred to me to tell people when they inquired as to "What it is that I do" the real truth.



The real truth is.....I do a lot! So much that I can hardly keep up with myself! As the case with the majority of the women I know!



The truth is.....I am an artist! Always have been....always will be!



Although I have spent countless nights slinging drinks in an effort to pay the bills I am much more than a bartender!

I think a lot of us can benefit from Susan's logic.



We need to put that energy out there! Susan did it & it worked.

I am now happy to announce that Susan is now able to pay the bills by doing so....she is now a full time writer!



Long gone are the days of Susan spending her time at what she considered to be a dead end job.



WTG Susan! Many well deserved pats on the back!

So...... No Karyn (dear cousin of mine) You are not just a "Bartender"

Bartending is just something you are doing temporarily to pay the bills! It does not define you.

It is not the only reason you were put on this planet....& when I think of you...as I often do....you should know....that bartending rarely enters my thoughts.

On a second note, typically what comes to mind....is a beautiful creature, mother, inspirational woman, who is determine to pay the bills in a manner that reflects who you really are....an artist.

You should know that you have always inspired me to do the things I love. Thank you it means more to me than you could ever imagine :)

THIS ARTICLE GOES OUT TO ALL THE HARD WORKING, SELFLESS WOMEN I HAVE KNOWN. THE WOMEN WHO FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE DREAMS ALIVE....EVEN IF THEY ARE TEMPORARILY POSING AS SOMEONE ELSE TO
"Pay the bills."
You are what is in your heart

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Thanks - I needed that and it was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all of the accolades. I must give credit where it is due. The discovery of being able to define who you really are came from my mother, Kathryn, who is still the wisest woman that I have ever known. She inspires me every day to live a life of authenticity. She always told me, “Never let anyone oppress you. Have the courage to tell the truth. Befriend only true allies. Be accountable and expect the people around you to be accountable.” I use this philosophy in my work and efforts toward social and economic justice, every single day. www.MediaDragon9.com